Sunday, January 20, 2013

The Words of our Mouth Versus the Words of our Heart

Some of you may have seen this on my Twitter:



And it got me to thinking about the implications that that might have to some of my friends and people in general that don't know me very well.  My previous post is pretty heavy with words that some would consider "bad, cussing, or curse words."  As this is a topic that I've had on my mind and in my heart for a good while, I figured that this was as good a time as any to talk about our words.

The words that come out of our mouths tend to define who we are.  What we say, to who we say it, and how we say it all form the personality that a person or people know of us.  There's accents, regional sayings, slang, and so many other things that can be taken into consideration when it comes to speech and communication.  Some people believe that certain words should or shouldn't be said.  But, when it comes down to it, what is a good word?  And what, if any, is a bad word?

Think about this situation. You're minding your own business sitting at a table, reading your book.  A family member sits down in your proximity and puts down a glass of juice and knocks it over...on to your book and into your lap.  Your good time, interrupted, triggers a reflex reaction in your mind.  Angry, you proclaim, "What is your FREAKING problem?!"

Did you say a "bad" word? Did you REALLY cuss? No.  But in your heart, that "freaking" was just as efficient as a "fucking."  The word that came out of your mouth was "cleaner," but the intention in your heart was all the same.  Does it "sound" better?  I suppose one could say that it does.  In the end, the intention and emotion in your heart was the same, regardless of the words that came out of your mouth.

As a people, our words are supposed to be loving, filled with grace, edifying, and wise.  What does this mean?  It means that regardless of your situation, you should have your head and heart in check and always choose your words wisely and prayerfully.  Are there situations where using words like "shit and asshole and fuck" might help someone on their level to understand the gravity of their situation?  Absolutely.  A preacher in a three piece suit is not going to get very far in Southeast San Diego.  And with that said, you have to know who you're talking to, and really rely on the Spirit to give you the words and move in your heart.  By no means would I or should we use those words in every situation, but they most definitely have their time and place.  Whether you use those words or not, your heart and your intention are what matter and normally are conveyed, felt, and clear to the listener.

I don't always use these words in every day life.  I have groups of people who I know are offended by them who never hear them come out of my mouth.  I also have groups of people who I know that know that my use of these words in no way affects my walk with Christ.  I don't wish to offend anyone with my words.  And that should be the case, regardless of our situation.  Whether we're reacting to an adverse condition, or trying to preach the gospel, we should be mindful of our words and the intention of our hearts.

Just because you're not "cussing" does not mean you're not saying "bad words."

1 comment:

  1. Step four, don't say fuck anymore
    Because fuck is the worst word that you can say
    Fuck is the worst word that you can say
    We shouldn't say fuck, no we shouldn't say fuck, fuck no

    ReplyDelete