Friday, January 18, 2013

A$AP ROCKY - Long Live A$AP

I don't normally do this, but this is both a response to the Director of Music for a radio station in San Jose and a review of an album I recently heard.  Granted, it's not going to be an in-depth review, because I won't have listened to it more than once when I write this.

Driving on my way to work today, I was listening to A$AP Rocky's latest album, "Long Live A$AP." From some of the people I follow on Twitter, it was supposed to have been a great album.  This is not the case.  I listened to half of it on the way to work and the other half on the way back home.  Looking back on it, I'm glad that that was how it worked out.  The album, while ranging from decent to solid on production, is largely dark and completely lacking in any kind of quality that isn't talking about niggas, riding with his niggas, riding on some niggas, fuck those other niggas, Lambos, Raris, whores, bitches, pseudo-religious statements in which he compares himself to God or Christ, weed, and niggas.  It left me quite drained and put a strain on my spirit that I don't normally feel from good music.  His songs and lyrics are in no way edifying, and are rarely clever.  I will probably never listen to him, or that album ever again.

Now, you may say, "this is just my taste in music," right?  That is where every bit of my mind, body and soul disagree.  Even if I wasn't a Christian, I could not enjoy such destructive and senseless music.  I pointed out to The Alchemist how I felt about the first half of the album I heard, and SJ Radio came back and answered.  I answered back and then he came back with the following Tweets:

"if u don't like pmw ... U don't like ASAP n q ... Cuz it's their signature just like hands on the wheel or brand new guy that's how those two get down ... And pmw is dope ... One of The top 5 cuts on the record the fact that u are sayin ASAP isn't hip hop or is hip hop... Makes u seem hella sus ... Quit classifying shit n do u listen to wat u like n disregard the other ish ... No need to Go into what is and isn't hip hop ... That's just idiotic " 

To which I say, What, precisely, is his and their signature? Garbage raps about guns, drugs, cars, and fucking whores?   And how, exactly, is a song titled, PMW (All I Really Need) and the PMW stands for Pussy, Money, Weed a great song?  How can anyone with a shred of reason or compassion for people be able to title a song Pussy, Money, Weed?  And then, well, the lyrics are of a caliber that suits the title.  And, if I used the loosest standards by which I judge music, there is by no means "5 dope cuts" on that entire album.  He's lucky if there's 2.  And, I concede, I should not have said he was hiphop...because not all rap is hiphop.

One of the lines that bothers me the most is "Quit classifying shit n do u." Do me?  What does that mean? Pay no attention to what is out there and try to help my people and anyone else that might listen to try to shield them from these garbage raps?  Bury my head in the sand and not TRY to find good music and the behest of people who I respect in HipHop and Rap?  So, in this case, they're telling me to be close-minded and just continue on my merry way?  Continue on my merry way and let people just fall into the pit of garbage raps that people like A$AP and 2chainz and Rick Ross perpetuate to capitalize on the feeble minds and desires of the poor souls that have no real direction?  That would mean that I hate those people.  And I don't.  My heart breaks for them and I would love to see them do better than the horrible lyrics that are contained in A$AP's album.  To see that that is no way to live their lives.  To see that that is not even close to an example of good music.  To see garbage for garbage and run from it.  Do me, SJ Radio?  I don't think so.

Your words are as ignorant as your grasp of music.  Pump garbage that's considered "hot."  It is called "hot garbage" for a reason.  Just because it's hot does not mean that it's dope.  Keep your selfish, self-serving words for someone with no vision.  As for me, I love HipHop and Rap...but I don't put up with garbage.

No comments:

Post a Comment